Winter Season Maintenance
The winter weather in Alabama may not be near as cold as our neighbors to the north, but it’s still a good practice to be prepared for those less-than-pleasant days that will eventually come our way. Beyond using Havoline® with Deposit Shield™ for regular changes and top-offs, there’s a lot you can do to maximize the life of your car. Read through the checklist below, and let us know if we can help.
- Inspect your cooling system. Have cooling system checked for condition and level of protection.
- Check your tires. Have tires checked for proper inflation and adequate tread depth. We check ’em all with every Star Service Oil Change.
- Check your wiper blades. Check condition and operation of wiper blades and fill the washer reservoir.
- Test your heater/defroster. Check the heater and defroster for proper operation.
- Take a good look at your starting components. Have the battery, alternator, and starter checked for condition and operation.
- Inspect your exhaust system. Make sure the exhaust system is tight and free of any leaks.
- Top off your tank: Keep your fuel tank filled to prevent moisture build-up.
- See if it’s time for an oil change. Check the engine oil for proper level and to see if it is in need of a change.
- Crank it up. Check to see that your engine starts easily and runs smoothly.
- Don’t leave your phone at home. Make sure you carry your mobile phone if you have one. It would be your best friend if you got stuck out in the cold.
- Keep a scraper close at hand. We all know what a finger-numbing experience it is to use a credit card to de-ice your windows.
- Check for visibility. Make sure you can see out of all windows before starting off.
- Pack some insulation. Make sure you have a blanket to keep warm and a pair of boots in the car in case you need to walk anywhere if you break down.
- Don’t get stuck in the dark. Keep a flashlight in the car.
- Be prepared. Carry a first-aid kit for emergencies.
- Check your local weather. Check the weather reports and plan your route before you set out.